Today is a great day to celebrate Peace. As you know, I usually have a lot to say when it comes to injustice and civil rights, especially in the wake of recent events. Today however, I am going to take Martin Luther King’s lead and come from a place of Peace. He was one of the world’s best known advocates of non-violent social change strategies, and so for today I am stepping down from my soap-box in honor of his efforts. Here are some facts about MLK:
- Won Nobel Peace Prize on December 10, 1964.
- Was stabbed in 1958 while promoting his book, “Stride Toward Freedom”.
- Earned Ph.D. in systematic theology in 1955.
- Graduated from Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA, in 1948.
- Birth name: Michael Luther King Jr.
- Is the only U.S. citizen to have a national holiday dedicated to him.
- Time Magazine’s “Man of the Year” (1963)
- Subject of the U2 song “Pride (In the Name of Love)” from their 1984 album “The Unforgettable Fire”.
- He stated that he would not live to be 40. He died aged 39.
- Among his personal, non-violent reform heroes was Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948).
- Was a vegetarian.
- Publicly spoke out against the Vietnam War in 1967.
Join me today by doing something kind for someone, or make every effort to come from a place of respect and kindness when interacting with others.
Enjoy this beautiful day!